My Very First Post - Sweet Potato & Tuna Cakes and Yummy Stew

This is a quick one, as I am test driving how to blog.  As much as I want to do this, it does take time and I have Jolie at home with me.  Jolie is my four year old little girl, my little angel, and at times, my little fire cracker!  I also have two sons, Brendan (9) and Adam (6).


This first post is to share two of my recipes that I posted on Facebook.  Having children at different stages of "taste bud" development, it's hard to find that magic recipe that everyone enjoys. Well it just so happened that all three enjoyed this one.  So I am just going to cut and paste from my Facebook.  I won't worry about editing at this time but will focus on that as I get more proficient with this whole blogging thing.  Thanks!


Sweet Potato & Tuna Cakes (without the sweet icing)


Another Surprise Meal Hit....Sweet Potato & Tuna Cakes....just thought I would share!
2 med sweet potoatoes (I used the Korean Variety w/Purple skin)
2 cans Albacore Tuna
2 Green Onions, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 egg
1 tbsp ground flax seed
seasoning (I used Epicure's Souvlaki seasoning, but lemon pepper or Mrs. Dash would be good)

Microwave the potatoes until soft, take most of the skin off and mash. Add the drained tuna and mix well. Add the Onions, garlic, egg, flax and seasoning. Mix again. Form into patties and if you have a Foreman grill, grill. But I guess you could bake in oven or on a lightly oiled skillet. When done squeeze lemon juice on. Voila. My kids don't like to eat sweet potato fries, but will eat them roasted. Again, this was a surprise hit, because all 15 patties are gone! I think the trick is to just keep trying to introduce different food to them and tell them to have at least one "try-it" bite. They may or may not like. But at least you tried. As they grow, so does their "sensitivity" to food tastes. Long post...I know!



I have been cooking up a storm lately. You would think I am preparing to make a cookbook. I am just trying to make old favorites more "clean". Sooo...I made a wicked stew that the kids gobbled up...the kids said that this was better than Grandma's...sorry Grandma Marg! Time wise... I started after the kids went to school and finished around noon. So there is a bit of prep-because I was making this for the kids and they like things small and cubed!!! This is a good way to sneak in veggies!

Stew For That's Good For You
2 cups stew meat ( I used sirloin) cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
EVOO and 1 tbsp of Butter (to coat bottom of dutch oven
1 onion chopped
1/4 c of WW Flour (spelt or kamut has been used before & works fine)
thyme, marjoram, S & P, 1 bay leaf, 4 c Beef Broth
1 turnip, 1 sweet potato, 3 red skin potatoes (peels on but scrubbed clean), handful of baby carrots
1 tbsp tomato paste
Handful of frozen corn/peas

Coat bottom of dutch oven/stock/soup pot with oil, heat gently then add butter. Once melted add meat. Only add enough meat to cover bottom of pan. Too much will reduce heat and you won't brown the meat. Once brown, remove meat and set aside. Add onion and saute until golden. Then add flour to sauteed onions and cook for about 1 minute over low/med heat. Scraping gently to remove any bits from the bottom of the pan. Return meat to the onion/flour mixture. Add Seasonings and broth. Stir. Bring to a simmer and cover partially. Simmer (my stove burner was at 6) for 45 minutes. Then add cubed veggies, but leave the mini carrots whole. Add tomato paste and stir. Simmer again,covered this time, until veggies are cooked. About an hour for me. Add frozen peas and corn. It is ready when the peas/corn are cooked. This is my own creation, adapted from Grandma Marg. I used all organic and the stock was homemade...but I am sure OXO cubes et al would be just as fine! I usually make this in the crockpot but I have more control over the flavors when cooking in cast iron/dutch oven pot. If any one is interested! I thought I would share! XO

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping it Real - Back

Stir It Up - Chicken Stir-Fry

Banana Muffins