Not So Clean Butterscotch Chip Cookies and keeping this blog going....

Keeping a blog is a lot harder than I thought.  I like to give 100% when I do something, and keeping a blog is difficult when you don't have oodles of free time.  There is always something going on or little people who need me.  In the evenings, once the kids are all nestled in their beds, I then have the time to....finish with the dinner dishes, complete and put away the laundry, address any house cleaning that was not finished or attempted i.e. bathroom, and then, only then, I will sit down and have a little Chelsea time (Yes.  The coveted glass of wine is cherished at this time, on occasion).  However, once I am relaxed, I am too zoned out to write a blog.  I have many ideas and recipes to share, but its finding the time to put out something worth reading.  I am not a selfish person, but I like to share...

I do tend to dabble in Facebook, probably a lot more than I should.  But only because it generally focuses around mindless tidbits that take a few minutes out of my time.  I am usually on Facebook when I am drinking a shake, a cup of green tea or downing my 72 oz of daily water consumption.  Facebook has become a very interesting way to socialize and to catch up on current events (that is a joke, because most of the things I see on Facebook is either witty, thought-provoking or just dirty and rude).  I am a very open minded person, that holds no judgement towards others; however, there are some things that just shouldn't be out there...children have access to the internet too!  

I know...mindless babble!  Here we go with a sweet little recipe that I call my own.

It was the summer of grade three.  As usual, my brother and I were spending the summer at the Leask Farm in Saskatchewan.  This is where I started to bake.  Once back home in Saskatoon, I would have free range of the kitchen and baked quite often.  This is a recipe that I have been using since the eighties; however, it has been modified to make it a "little" on the healthier side, but not too much!

Butterscotch Flaxseed Cookies

First thing, take out your butter and eggs and bring to room temperature.  A good 4 hours is needed for the butter.

Preheat oven to 350 F - Note:  Baking time is dependent on where you live.  In Saskatchewan this recipe was 375 for 10 to 12 minutes. In the Pacific Coast, 350 F for 10 minutes


Prepare two cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking sheet.  I use one cookie sheet without the rim and the other has the rimmed border.


1 cup

Butter, unsalted
¾ cup

Brown Sugar
½ cup

White Sugar, organic or sucanat
1 tsp

Vanilla
2

Eggs
1 cup

White Flour,  All Purpose & Unbleached, or whatever you have on hand
1 ¼ cup

Whole Wheat Flour
¼ cup

Flax Seed, ground
1 tsp

Baking Powder
1 tsp
1 cup

Salt
Butterscotch chips (or Chocolate)



Cream butter, add sugars.  Mix until creamy in texture.  Add eggs and vanilla and mix again.  Sift the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.  Any germ and flax left in the sifter can be poured into the dry ingredients and then given a little stir.  Now add the dry ingredients into the wet.  Mix well.  If using a stand mixer, mix for about 3 - 5 minutes on level 4.  Now add the chips and stir with your hand, as the paddle attachment for the stand mixer will just mess up your chips.  Using a small icecream scoop or two small spoons, drop your dough about an inch apart on prepared cookie sheets.  I make my cookies about and inch and a half in diameter.  Cook for 10 minutes or just until the edges start to brown.  This is were the test is, as every stove is different.  I like my cookies a bit soft in the middle, so 10 minutes at 350 F is perfect in my house.  Let rest for 10 before transferring to a cooking rack.  This is a small batch, about 3 dozen.  My kids love this recipe...I hope yours does too!


Enjoy and let me know of any feedback.  


Forever (Yours) In the Kitchen,


~Chelsea~







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping it Real - Back

Stir It Up - Chicken Stir-Fry

Banana Muffins